Cookie Consent by Change a birth certificate - Norfolk County Council

Change a birth certificate

To make a change or a correction to a birth registration and certificate, contact us and we will direct you to a full-time registration office.

Please note that further to national legislation, from 1 November 2017 you may be required to pay a fee for your application for a correction to be considered.  This will depend on the type of error that needs correcting.  Our registration staff will give you more information.

Adding father’s details later

If the parents are not married, the mother does not have to have the baby’s father’s details included in the register if she does not wish to.

The mother needs to be sure about leaving the baby’s father’s details off the register however, as adding his name at a later date requires a further more complicated appointment.

If the mother gets married to the child’s natural father at a later date, the child can be re-registered.  Find out about re-registering a birth.

Was this webpage helpful?