Nationality checking service
Norfolk County Council offers a nationality checking service (of paper application forms only) to assist people who wish to become British citizens.
- We no longer offer JCAP (Passport and Citizenship) appointments (although we will be honouring JCAP appointments already booked until 6 April)
- We are not offering the new ‘Nationality Document Return Service’ (NDRS) which is linked to digital online citizenship/JCAP applications
Nationality checking service
The service will help ensure that your citizenship application is properly completed and submitted with all the relevant supporting documents.
Our advisers are registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC). The OISC is an independent body which regulates organisations offering this type of service. All our advisers have been professionally trained and we are committed to offering a fast, friendly and efficient service.
We will photocopy and certify your passport and other valuable documents so they remain in your safekeeping. We will send your application and the correct fee to the Home Office by special delivery post.
Using our checking service is entirely optional. You can apply directly to the Home Office yourself, use a solicitor or other agent. You do not need to live in Norfolk to use our service.
For information on how to become a British citizen please contact UK Visas and Immigration by going to the Home Office website.
Joint citizenship and passport
If you have already booked to attend a JCAP appointment with us prior to 6 April, see ‘How do I use the Nationality Checking Service or the Joint Citizenship and Passport process’ below. If your citizenship application is successful, and a ceremony is attended, your new passport will be dispatched to your home address.
There are a few differences that you need to know when applying for your passport this way:
- Applicants should complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. They do not need to complete section 10 nor have the two photographs certified. Details of referees will be collected as part of the citizenship application.
- The photographs submitted with both applications must be identical (i.e. from the same sitting), must have been taken within one month of your appointment, and must comply with the photo standards as described in the accompanying guidance
- Section 1: Any applicant within six months of their 16th birthday at the time of application must attend the appointment in person
- Section 2: Do not enter a mobile phone number in Section 2 of the application form. Enter it in Section 8 instead.
- Section 4: Grandparents’ details are not required
- The payment mandate on Page 25 of the application guidance must be completed. Make sure that you enter the security number of the card in the appropriate box.
- If you are unsure about any requirements leave the section of the form blank and complete it at your appointment
- A JCAP application can only be processed if the names recorded on both application forms (citizenship and passport) and the current passport match exactly
We offer a friendly and professional nationality checking service at our registration offices in:
- Thetford each Tuesday
- King's Lynn each Wednesday
- Great Yarmouth each Thursday
To make an appointment please call our Customer Service Centre on 0344 800 8020. Select the option for Registration Services and then Citizenship, option four.
All appointments are subject to availability.
When you make an appointment you will need to pay a booking fee over the telephone by debit or credit card.
If you are unable to pay by card then you will need to visit one of the offices to make an appointment and pay by cash or postal order. We do not accept payment by cheque.
We will send you a confirmation letter or email confirming your appointment details and advising you on what you need to bring with you. We will also tell you about our cancellation policy should you need to cancel your appointment.
You must make your application in person. If you are married or in a civil partnership and want to make a joint application, then you must both visit in person. If you have children under 18 years of age, they do not have to be present unless they are over 16 and are applying (signing the application form) for themselves.
You must bring these documents with you:
- A completed citizenship application form
- A letter confirming success in the ‘Life in the UK’ test or a certificate of progression from one English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) level to another with evidence that the college is an accredited college
- All the necessary documents as explained in the application form guideline notes
- The Home Office application fee
Using our checking service for British citizenship applications will minimise the risk of mistakes and the possibility of having your application put on hold due to incompleteness.
You are able to keep your original documents, including passports, while an application is under consideration at the Home Office.
The checking service is not a priority service for processing your application with the Home Office. However, complete and accurate forms are processed, on average, more quickly then those that are incomplete or which need further enquiries.
Fees for our nationality checking service are:
- Each adult applicant - £70
- Each child applicant - £40
A child is a person under 18 years of age for fee basis. All fees include VAT.
Applicants must check their own eligibility against the government guidelines before completing an application form. We do not check this for you as part of this service.
We cannot and do not guarantee as part of this service that your application will be successful.
The service we provide is only to check, as far as we are able to do, that your application is complete and accurate. We also cannot guarantee the time your application will take to be processed by the Home Office.
Norfolk County Council offers a nationality checking service of paper application forms only.
We are not offering the new ‘Nationality Document Return Service’ (NDRS) which is linked to digital online citizenship/JCAP applications.
If you need to cancel your appointment please do it as soon as possible by emailing email@example.com.
If you give ten days of notice of your intention to cancel an appointment then we will refund your appointment fee. If you give fewer than ten clear days notice no refund will be given.
If you fail to attend your checking appointment then 100% of the fee you paid for our checking service will be forfeit for administrative charges and you will need to make a fresh booking and pay again.
A comprehensive list of supporting documents that you need to bring with you can be found on your application form and accompanying guide.
All documents must be originals.