Step by step guide
Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage. The excitement of planning your special day begins now. View our guide to arranging your ceremony.
- Contact your chosen venue to check dates and times. At this stage, it is a good idea to be flexible and have at least two options for when you would like your ceremony.
- Book the ceremony. Before you can confirm the booking with the venue you must book the ceremony with the ceremony team by completing the online booking form. Please allow fifteen days for the ceremony team to get back in touch with you to agree a date and time for the ceremony. Your booking will be made and you will need to pay a £100 deposit. Ceremony fees can be found here. Any further changes to the booking beyond this point will incur a £30 administration fee. If you are having an approved venue duo ceremony then you will need to complete the duo agreement form. If you have not completed the form download it here and return it to the ceremony team.
- If you are having an approved venue duo ceremony then you will need to complete the duo agreement form. If you have not completed the foand return it to the ceremony team.
- Give notice of marriage. When the venue and ceremony have been booked, you must give notice of marriage to the Registration Office in the district where you live. This is where you state formally that you intend to get married and you must provide documentation to prove your name, address, age and freedom to marry. This can be done no earlier than 12 months and ideally no later than five months before the marriage. If you live in Norfolk you can book an appointment online.
- Plan your ceremony. Complete the online Ceremony Choices form which gives the choice of compulsory vows available to you and suggestions for readings you might like to include. Once you have submitted the form it will be emailed to you and to the ceremony team who will then use the form as your ceremony script.
- Pay the fees. At least 12 weeks before your ceremony, you will need to pay the balance of your fee. This can be done by contacting the ceremony team. Ceremony fees can be found here. We encourage couples to pay their final ceremony fees at the Notice appointment. From 1 September 2017, all couples will be required to pay their final fees at the Notice appointment, if fees were not paid in full at the time of booking.
- Confirm on the day. On your big day the Registration Officers will interview both of you privately to check that all the details for the registration are correct and to confirm arrangements for the ceremony.
- Then…relax, and enjoy your day!