Scaffold licences

A scaffold/hoardings licence is required if the scaffold is to be placed on a public highway.  This needs to be completed every time a scaffold needs to be placed on a public highway (verge, path, or road) and is a statutory requirement.

If the road is located in Norwich, please apply to Norwich City Council instead.

Minimum public liability insurance cover required for this application is £5m.

Before you begin your application, please complete a site specific plan.  You will be asked to upload it while completing the application.  You will find example drawings below.

You may also be required to upload the following:

  • A Pedestrian Management Plan that details how you will manage pedestrians through the site, if a minimum width of 1.2m of unobstructed footway will not be maintained for pedestrians. (In some scenarios a width of 1m may be acceptable; however, this will require further consultation with the Street Works Inspector)
  • A Traffic Management Plan that details the signing and guarding arrangements to protect the scaffold, if any part of the structure be within 500mm of the edge of carriageway

Apply for a scaffold licence

If you need to complete TTRO application go to our Highways licences and permits page.

For information on safety at street and road works go to the GOV.UK website.

How to pay for your licence

After you've submitted your application, call Norfolk County Council Customer Service team on 0344 800 8020 and select option 2 for Highways to make payment by credit or debit card. 

Your application will be processed within three working days after you have paid your licence.

Your application will not be processed without prior payment.

When you call us you'll be asked to provide the following details:

  • Your company name
  • Reason for payment: scaffold licence application
  • Your application reference number
  • Cost reference and VAT category: PJ1307/93880 T
  • Cost of application: £75 for first 56 days and £20 every 56 days after that
  • Your credit/debit card details

The customer service agent will process the payment while you're on the line and will give you a payment authorisation code for your records. If you require a written receipt please request this when making payment.

If you have a general enquiry you can also call the Customer Services team on 0344 800 8020.

Example drawings

Drawing A: Example of a basic scaffold/hording location plan


Drawing B: Example of basic traffic management set up for scaffolding/hording closer than 0.5m from the edge of the carriageway

These notes are designed to inform you of the basic requirements of placing scaffold/hoarding on the highway.  They do not necessarily cover your entire liability and you are responsible for ensuring that you comply fully with the law.

Was this webpage helpful?