If you pay for your own care

Paying for the full cost of care yourself - being a ‘self-funder’

If you know you will need to pay for your own care, either in your own home or in residential care, there are organisations that can help you to plan and make choices about this:

See our list of list of information, advice and advocacy organisations

We strongly recommend that you also discuss your situation with an Independent Financial Advisor and explore all the options available to you. You may not have to sell your home or use up all of your financial assets to fund your care.

If you choose to seek advice from an Independent Financial Advisor you should ensure that they hold the Chartered Insurance Institute’s (CII) Certificate in Financial Planning and Long-term Insurance or the Institute of Financial Services equivalent (CeLTCI). The financial adviser should also be an accredited Society of Later Life Adviser (SOLLA).

Read more information about independent financial advice.

If you want you can also talk to Adult Social Services and have a care and support assessment. An assessment will consider the things you are able to do, things that you would like to be able to do for yourself, people who may be able to support you, what is available in your community and the help you need. The person doing the assessment will ask about your wellbeing, how it is affected by not being able to do certain things and what is important to you right now. We will assess you over the phone or in person.

There is a national level of care and support needs that all councils will consider when assessing what help we can provide. We will offer advice and guidance on meeting your care and support needs signpost you to a range of care providers. Read about Arranging your care.

The Norfolk Directory provides details of other organisations, including voluntary organisations who will also able to provide financial advice and support. Go to the Norfolk Directory.

You can still ask us to arrange any non-residential services for you even if you will be paying the full cost of your care. If you ask us to do this we will charge you an administration fee that covers our costs of doing this on your behalf.

If you are moving into residential care, you may be entitled to financial assistance and support. For further information about this, please refer to the Norfolk County Council Leaflet titled Thinking about Residential and Nursing Care - Money Matters and the section: Running out of money whilst receiving care.

If your capital is likely to reduce to £23,250 as a result of paying for care, you must tell Adult Social Services well in advance that this is going to happen. They will then be able to help with your care fees (provided your care needs assessment has shown that you need care). They will carry out a financial assessment to confirm the date from which your funds fell below £23,250, and the amount they, and you, will pay towards your care. If your care home fees are more than Adult Social Services funding level and you don’t have anyone to meet the extra cost, you might have to move to an alternative care home.

If you are moving into residential care or Housing with Care or Supported Living and your savings are less than £23,250 but you own a property, you may be eligible to enter into a Deferred Payment Agreement.

Read about Deferred Payment Agreements.

Understanding your rights before moving into care is essential.


Was this webpage helpful?