Cookie Consent by Will you have to pay for your care? - Norfolk County Council

Will you have to pay for your care?

If the answer is no:

You will get some financial help from Social Services towards the costs of your care and support although you must have a financial assessment to work out how much we will pay and how much you will pay.

You may be offered a home visit from someone who works for us called a Financial  Assessment Officer, who will:

  • Check that you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to and give you welfare benefit advice
  • Help you claim for additional benefits (where relevant)
  • Explain our charging policy and how it will affect you
  • Help you fill in a financial assessment form
  • Tell you how much, how often and how to pay your charges

In some cases, we may not need to visit you. If this is the case, we can usually get information from you, or the person who helps you with your financial affairs, over the phone.

If the answer is yes:

You will not usually be eligible for any financial help towards the costs of your care and support.

For further information go to if you pay for your own care.

If you are paying the full cost of your care and have savings, then you should seek independent financial advice to maximise investment returns.

The value of your home is included in the assessment of your capital unless one of the following people still lives there:

  • Your partner (ie your husband, wife or civil partner, or someone you live with as if they were your husband, wife or civil partner)
  • A relative who is over 60 or disabled
  • A child under 16 who you, or a former partner, are responsible for


It is just your own financial circumstances that are assessed, not your partner’s.

Consider claiming:

  • Income support
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Pension Credit
  • Savings Credit (if you are over 65)

Definitely claim:

  • Attendance Allowance, worth either £55.10 or £82.30 a week depending on your care needs

We have a team of financial assessment officers and a welfare rights unit who assist with advice on benefits and the charging policy.

Was this webpage helpful?