Cookie Consent by What happens at an assessment - Norfolk County Council

What happens at an assessment

If you have contacted us about additional care and support and we have decided to carry out an assessment read on to find out what happens at the assessment.

An assessment will consider what care and support you need and how this affects your wellbeing.  This will include:

  • What is important to you in how you live your life, what you’d like to achieve and how you think your wellbeing could be improved
  • What’s good in your life at the moment and who you have around you, like friends and family, who support you
  • Providing information and advice that will help to you to make choices about care and support options
  • Assessing whether you are eligible for care and support from Adult Social Services
  • The type of care and support available that could meet your eligible needs and how much this will cost

Everyone’s needs and the ways they affect people’s wellbeing are different.

If you wish, a carer, friend or family member can help you and represent you.

If you don’t have a carer, family member or friend who you can ask, and you have a lot of difficulty doing the assessment yourself, we will find an independent advocate to help you. An independent advocate can support you to make your own decisions and may also represent you, including speaking on your behalf . 

We will not charge you for this, nor will it come out of your Personal Budget.

This means you have substantial difficulty in understanding relevant information, retaining information, using or weighing up information or communicating your views, wishes or feelings.

After the assessment, we will write to you with a copy of your assessment, which will explain whether you are eligible for help and the reason for our decision.

If you are eligible, we will work with you to develop your care and support plan. If you are not eligible, we will still give you information and advice about what care and support is available to help you locally. This could be help from community groups or voluntary organisations.

If you arrange care and support yourself, either in your own home or a care home, you do not need to be assessed by the council.

However, even if you are not eligible for financial help from us and are therefore paying the full costs of your care, you may still contact us to ask us arrange any non-residential services for you. In this case, we will charge an administration fee that covers our costs of doing this on your behalf.

Was this webpage helpful?