Cookie Consent by Adaptations in the home - Norfolk County Council

Adaptations in the home

A guide to the process of adapting the homes of disabled people

We can make changes to your home and offer a range of equipment to help you lead an independent life.

This could include:

  • Ramps for a wheelchair
  • Bathing aids
  • Stair lifts
  • Moving and handling equipment, such as hoists

Do I qualify?

You will be able to get help from us if:

  • You are permanently and substantially disabled and meet the Norfolk County Council’s eligibility criteria
  • You are not due to have surgery which will improve your mobility and solve the problem

If you meet the eligibility criteria, an occupational therapist will carry out an assessment of need. The occupational therapist may need to get information about your condition from other health professionals, such as your GP, consultant or physiotherapist.

Once we have received your referral it will be prioritised according to the level of need. This means that people with conditions which leave them at the highest risk of injury or harm will be assessed first.

What type of help is available?

A wide range of adaptations is available from concrete ramps, over bath showers and stair lifts, to the more complex, such as level access showers, through floor lifts and ground floor extensions to provide bedrooms and bathrooms.

These are only examples of what is available. The occupational therapist and members of the housing authority (or their agent) or Environmental Health Department will advise on the most appropriate adaptation to meet your needs.

Simple adaptations, such as handrails, can be installed by the Equipment and Adaptations Service at the request of the occupational therapist.

Who is responsible and who pays?

Funding for adaptations depends upon the type of work needed and who owns the property.

If you own your property

If you are a private tenant

If you live in a council house

If your house is owned by a housing association

  • Housing associations may fund some adaptations for their tenants - contact them to find out
  • You can also apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant

How to apply

You need to make a referral, or if you prefer, you may ask someone else to do it on your behalf. Contact the Customer Services Team on 0344 800 8020.

  • The Customer Services Team will ask you for basic personal details and a summary of your needs
  • They will pass the referral to the occupational therapy team, who will let you know they have received it and roughly when an occupational therapist can visit to carry out an assessment
  • The occupational therapist will contact you to arrange a suitable time to visit you

Was this webpage helpful?