Cookie Consent by Carer's assessment - Norfolk County Council

Carer's assessment

A carer’s assessment gives you the chance to discuss how caring affects your life. You'll find out about services, emergency and financial help and breaks that can support your wellbeing and help you continue caring.

You'll be put in touch with free support services and you may be assessed as eligible to receive a Personal Budget. This can be spent on things that make caring easier, or practical support such as short breaks.

When can I get a carer's assessment?

You can ask for a carer’s assessment at any time. We recommend that you firstly contact Carers Matter Norfolk to find out more about an assessment and to discuss your needs.

What will be covered by the assessment?

A carer’s assessment will look at the different ways caring affects your life and work out how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family. It should cover:

  • Your caring role
  • Your feelings about caring
  • Your physical, mental and emotional health
  • How caring affects your work, leisure, education, wider family and relationships

Will I be asked about my finances?

We won't carry out a financial means test as part of the carer’s assessment, but we might ask you about the impact the cost of caring is having on your finances. 

The carer's allowance that some people receive for caring on a full-time basis is different and does require a means test. 

If you're eligible to receive services to support your ongoing caring role you'll receive these free of charge.

Will the assessment stop me from claiming carer's allowance?

No.  Having a carer’s assessment won't affect your right to receive a carer’s allowance.

Does the assessment judge me on the care I provide?

No. A carer’s assessment is about you and your wellbeing. It considers the impact that caring is having on your life and what support might be available for you. It doesn't judge the care that you provide.

Can I have an assessment if the person I care for doesn't get support from the council?

Yes. But you'll need to get the assessment through the council of the person that you support, if it's not the same as your own.

I share caring duties - can we all have a carer's assessment?

Everyone who gives unpaid care to an adult over the age of 18 and has some need for support can request a carer’s assessment. They don't have to be done together.

What about parents of disabled children or young carers under the age of 18?

If you're a young carer yourself, or a parent caring for a disabled child, you have similar rights to support under the Children and Families Act, not the new Care Act.

The Department for Education will soon be publishing further information on the rights of parent carers and young carers and how councils should support them.

If you or the person you are caring for is about to reach the age of 18, you'll be able to get a transition assessment. This will let you know whether you or they are likely to be eligible for support as an adult caring for another adult.

More information

    See our guide Care and Support in Norfolk, which looks at help for you or those you care for to stay independent.

    Was this webpage helpful?