Cookie Consent by Talk to us about your caring role - Norfolk County Council

Support for carers

Talk to us about your caring role

You may be a carer for someone who, due to illness, disability, mental health issues or addiction, could not cope without your support. 

Carer’s assessment 

You can ask for a carer’s assessment if you provide unpaid care and need support. This includes people who currently provide unpaid care or may be about to take on a caring role. 

You can have an assessment in your own right or a combined assessment with the person you're caring for, providing both of you agree. 

You can have a carer’s assessment even if the person you care for does not get any help from the council. We do not need to assess them.

As part of the assessment, you can talk about how caring affects your life by filling in a carer’s support needs form. 

Fill in a carers support need form  

If you'd like more information about the carer’s assessment and support for carers, visit the Carers Matter Norfolk website

Alternatively you can download and print a copy of our guidance.

What happens at the assessment?

The assessment will cover:

  • Your caring role and whether it has an impact on your life
  • Your feelings
  • Your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing
  • The sustainability of your caring role
  • How caring affects your work, finances, leisure, education, wider family and relationships
  • What you would like to achieve 

You can choose to do the assessment on your own or you can choose to have someone else there to support you. We can also arrange support if you do not have someone to help you. 

What support is available?

We'll talk to you about whether you need any support and whether you qualify for any help from the council. This might include: 

  • A direct payment to spend on the things that make caring easier 
  • Practical support, like arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break 
  • Being put in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to 
  • Being directed to our online Norfolk Community Directory for listings of care services 
  • Being connected to Carers Matter Norfolk 

Will I have to pay for services?

We provide services to carers which are not subject to charges, so you do not need to have a financial assessment. 

Services to the person a carer supports are chargeable. We'll conduct a financial assessment with them to work out how much we’ll pay and how much they will pay. 

If you're a carer who receives a personal budget, we'll offer you a direct payment. This gives you control over the provision of your support.

To search for care services in your area, visit the Norfolk Community Directory.

Fill in a carers support need form   

Was this webpage helpful?