Cookie Consent by Carer's assessment - Norfolk County Council

Carer's assessment

A carer’s assessment will give you the chance to discuss how caring affects your life and find out about support services, emergency help, breaks and financial help to support your wellbeing and help you continue caring.

They will put you in touch with free support services, and you may be eligible to receive a Personal Budget which you can spend on things that make caring easier, or practical support, such as short breaks.


    Care and Support in Norfolk (help for you or those you care for to stay independent)

    You can ask for a carer’s assessment at any time.  We recommend that you contact Carers Matter Norfolk in the first instance to find out more about an assessment and to discuss your needs on 0800 0831 148.

    A carer’s assessment will look at the different ways caring affects your life and work out how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family.  It should cover your caring role, your feelings about caring, your physical, mental and emotional health, and how caring affects your work, leisure, education, wider family and relationships.

    We will not carry out a financial means test as part of the carer’s assessment, but we could ask you about the impact the cost of caring is having on your finances.  The carer's allowance that some people receive for caring on a full-time basis is different and does require a means test.  If you are eligible to receive services to support your ongoing caring role you will receive these free of charge.

    Not at all.  Having a carer’s assessment will not affect your right to receive a carer’s allowance.

    A carer’s assessment is about you and your wellbeing.  It will consider the impact that caring is having on your life and what support might be available for you.  Its purpose is not to judge the care that you provide.

    Yes.  But you will need to do this through the council of the person that you support, if it is not the same as your own.

    Everyone who gives unpaid care to an adult over the age of 18, and has some need for support, can request a carer’s assessment.  They do not have to be done together. 

    If you are a young carer yourself, or a parent caring for a disabled child, you have similar rights to support under the Children and Families Act, not the new Care Act. The Department for Education will soon be publishing further information on the rights of parent carers and young carers and how councils should support them.

    If you or the person you are caring for is about to reach the age of 18, you will be able to get a transition assessment, which will let you know whether you or they are likely to be eligible for support as an adult caring for another adult.

    Was this webpage helpful?