Cookie Consent by Accommodation - Norfolk County Council


If you are:

  • A former relevant child 
  • Age 21-25 

This is what you need to know about our responsibilities, regarding you having somewhere to live and being independent.

Suitable housing

  • We will make sure that you have safe, suitable housing that is close to things you need, like work or education
  • We will make sure you understand all of your choices about where to live and will work with you to make sure you make the choice that’s right for you
  • You need to work with your Personal Adviser to make sure that the place you choose will be affordable, safe and secure. They will also make sure that you have the budgeting and independent skills to look after yourself

Preparation for Adulthood forum

  • From January 2019, we will be holding Preparation for Adulthood forums. You can come along and we will help you make decisions about housing (and education, training and employment). Your Personal Adviser will support you to attend, and you will be able to see what options are available to you, speak directly to providers and talk about next steps

Council Tax

  • Norwich City Council has agreed that care leavers will not have to pay Council Tax. Your Personal Adviser can help you apply for this exemption. This only applies: 
    • Until you are 25
    • If you don’t live with someone else who is not a care leaver
  • If you live in any other area of Norfolk, then Council Tax exemption will start in April 2019. Your Personal Adviser will update you

If you go to university

  • If you go to university but want to keep your home here in Norfolk, so you can come back in holidays and when you finish your studies, we will pay up to £400 a month towards your rent whilst you are studying 

Grants and financial help

  • You are entitled to a leaving care grant of £1,500 to buy the things that you need to set up home
  • We will also pay the deposit and rent in advance, if you are moving to somewhere that is privately rented
  • We will pay for your first TV licence

Legal rights

  • We will make sure that you understand your rights and responsibilities as a tenant

Problems with accommodation

Further information

If you’re not sure what your status is, you can check the criteria or contact us.

Was this webpage helpful?