If you are:
- A former relevant child
- Age 21-25
This is what you need to know about your financial entitlements and how we can help you with money.
Going to college
- If you go to college you may be entitled to a bursary to cover some of your costs. You may also be able to get some money towards tools and equipment that you need for your course. It is important that you discuss this with your Personal Adviser
Want to go to uni?
- If you go to university, we will give you a £2,000 bursary to help towards the cost
- We will also pay for your accommodation, as long as it’s reasonable, whilst you are studying
- If you don’t have a place to come back to during the holidays, we will pay for you to have somewhere to stay
- If you unable to continue in education or find an apprenticeship or job, we will make sure that you are able to claim the benefits you are entitled to
- Each Jobcentre Plus has a Service Point of Contact (SPOC) who can help you submit a claim for benefits. You are exempt from the seven-day-wait on all new benefit claims. The Jobcentre will need to see evidence you are a care leaver. Your Personal Adviser can do this for you and speak to them directly on your behalf, but you will need to sign a consent form to give them permission
- You can request the rent element of Universal Credit to be paid directly to your landlord
- You can also request fortnightly Universal Credit payments, instead of monthly
Budgeting your money
- We will work with you to make sure you can budget your money. This is so you do not get into arrears with bills, or are unable to buy food and other essentials like clothes
Setting up home
- You are entitled to a leaving care payment of £1,500 to buy the things that you need to set up home
- We will also pay the deposit if you are moving to somewhere that is privately rented
- We will pay for your first TV licence
- We will make sure you understand about saving. We will make sure you have a bank account and how to access your Junior ISA
If you’re not sure what your status is, you can check the criteria or contact us.