Free childcare for 2-year-olds
Take2 is a scheme offering up to 15 hours of free early learning and childcare per week for eligible two-year-olds in Norfolk. Early learning and childcare is great for children, they can learn through play, make new friends, try different activities and get a good start to their education.
If you have received a letter from us telling you that you are eligible you do not need to complete the first step and can move on to finding a childcare provider.
To apply for the scheme you must complete the following steps:
1. Check you are eligible and if you are eligible:
3. Your childcare provider will complete the Take 2 claim form with you
A referrer can help parents/carers with each step of the application/claim process. A referrer could be a childcare provider, Children’s Centre staff or other professional.
One of the following criteria must also be met.
- Is looked after by the local authority
- Has left care through special guardianship or through an adoption or residence order
- Is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Has a current statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Universal Credit
- Tax credits and you have an annual income of under £16,190 before tax
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Support through Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
- The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (this is the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- The parent / carer’s National Insurance number, or National Asylum Support Service (NASS) number
- Parent / carer’s date of birth
- First three letters of the parent / carer’s surname
If you have received an eligibility letter giving you a reference number, you will not need to complete the online eligibility check. Take the letter to your chosen provider who will complete the claim form and return it on your behalf.
If you need help finding your childcare or need further assistance you can contact your local Children's Centre, visit the Norfolk Directory for a list of all providers in your area or contact the Family Information Service.
A variety of childcare providers can offer early education and childcare for your 2-year-old. You or your referrer* will need to contact the provider direct to find out if a place is available and to agree your childcare. Your preferred provider may operate a waiting list, so it is essential that you contact them in good time to discuss your requirements.
If you are having problems finding a place visit Problems finding childcare for help.
The date a child is eligible for free early education and childcare is based on the child’s date of birth. A child becomes eligible at the start of the next claim period which follows their second birthday. The dates below show the earliest you can apply for a free childcare place. If you have missed the earliest claim period for your child you can still claim in any of the later claim periods before your child turns 3.
You can claim funding from 1 April 2017
Date of birth range - 1 April 2015 - 31 August 2015
You can claim funding from 1 September 2017
Date of birth range - 1 September 2015 - 31 December 2015
You can claim funding from 1 January 2018
Date of birth range - 1 January 2016 - 31 March 2016
You can claim funding from 1 April 2018