Take a look below for answers to some frequently asked questions on special educational needs and disabilities (SEND):

Local authorities must publish a Local Offer, setting out in one place information about provision that is available and provision that is expected to be across education, health and social care for children and young people in their area who have special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). 

If you need help finding information on the Local Offer, email

A child or young person has special educational needs (SEN) if they need extra support because they find it harder to learn than the majority of other children or young people of the same age. 

Children learn at different rates and in different ways from each other.  Teachers use different methods of teaching and different lesson materials to help individual children learn best.  If a child is not making the expected progress even when the teacher has adapted their teaching methods and materials to suit the child’s style and rate of learning, then the child may have SEN.

If you have questions or concerns about the support your child’s setting is providing the first person to talk to is your child’s key worker, teacher, tutor or SEN Co-ordinator.  If following that conversation you need further help, you can contact SEND Partnership who offer free, impartial advice and support.



Telephone number: 01603 704070

An Education, Health and Care plan (EHC plan) is for children and young people (aged 0 to 25) who have SEND and need a much higher level of support than a mainstream education setting can deliver. If you think your child may need an EHC plan, the first step is to request an Education, Health and Care needs assessment.

For further information visit Education, Health and Care plans and How to request a needs assessment.

When a draft EHC plan is issued the young person or the child’s parent/carer have the right to request a particular school, college or other educational setting.  You can find out more about this by visiting Requesting a school.

A specific school can also be requested during the phase transfer process for children with Special Educational Needs, who have a Statement of SEN/EHC plan.

You may also find it helpful to visit Norfolk Schoolfinder, Specialist education and Admissions to specialist schools

Early help is about working with children, young people and their families to offer the right support at an early stage before a small need becomes a bigger one.  If you are worried about your child or family and think you might need some extra help you should first discuss your concerns with your family’s health visitor, a children’s centre you visit, or your child’s preschool or school.

For further information please visit Early help.

Short break services give disabled children and young people an opportunity to meet new people and enjoy different experiences.  Short breaks come in all shapes and sizes and give disabled children and their families a break from their caring responsibilities.

For further information visit Short breaks.

Was this webpage helpful?