Cookie Consent by The carer's allowance - Norfolk County Council

The carer's allowance

Carer's allowance is the main benefit for carers, currently £62.70 a week. You qualify for this benefit if you meet all of the following criteria:

The person you care for

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

  • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
  • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment 

You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:

  • You are 16 or over
  • You spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
  • You have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least two of the last three years
  • You normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
  • You are not in full-time education
  • You are not studying for 21 hours a week or more
  • You earn no more than £116 a week (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension) - don’t count your pension as income
  • You are not subject to immigration control   

If you are in receipt of another income replacement benefit like contributory employment and support allowance or retirement pension, then you may not be paid carer’s allowance.  However, it is often still worthwhile claiming carer’s allowance in these circumstances as it will mean you count as a carer for means-tested benefits - and these will be calculated more generously.

Claiming carer’s allowance can also help protect your state pension.  This is because you will receive a Class 1 National Insurance credit for every week you receive carer’s allowance.

Claim carer's allowance

Make the claim online or request a claim pack DS700 (or DS700(SP) if you are getting a State Retirement Pension) by calling the Carer’s Allowance Unit on 0345 608 4321 (text phone 0345 604 5312, calls from typetalk are also welcome).

Was this webpage helpful?