Apply for a short break

We will use the information from the application form and the supporting evidence you provide to agree an Individual Budget for your child using the Resource Allocation System (RAS).

The RAS is an evidence based tool. Most families send the most recent Educational Review/School Report and any recent medical documentation as evidence. We do not ask for supporting letters from professionals, the evidence we require will be information you already have available to you.

How to return the application form to us?

You can choose how you return the form to the Short Breaks Team.

By post (please ensure you send the form and all supporting evidence with the correct postage) to:

Children’s Services
Post Room Floor 3
Short Breaks Team
County Hall
Martineau Lane

or by email to

What happens once we receive your application?

On receipt of your application a Manager will review the information and make a decision based on the needs of your child and the family.

Specialist Short Breaks can be agreed by the Short Breaks Team without a social work assessment for children who are aged five to 17, have an agreed RAS score of less than 170 and where there are no safeguarding concerns.

We would not usually offer Specialist Short Breaks for children under five as the expectation is that they should be accessing Early Years Funding and can also access support etc. at their local Children’s Centre. If you consider your child aged under five has exceptional needs, please ask a professional known to you to refer for a social work assessment using form NSCB1 to MASH (Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub).

For children with an agreed score of over 170, or where there are safeguarding concerns, the Short Breaks Team will refer to social care for a full social work assessment of the child/family’s needs.

If you have any questions about Specialist Short Breaks

Please do not hesitate to email the Short Breaks Team

Was this webpage helpful?