Medical training for Early Years providers
Early years providers must meet the legal requirement set out in the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) 2017. There are legal requirements that apply to all providers about medicines. Extracts from these state providers must:
- Have and implement a policy, and procedures, for administering medicines
- Provide training for staff where administration of medicines requires medical or technical knowledge
- Keep a written record each time a medicine is administered to a child, and inform the child’s parents and or/carers on the same day, or as soon as is reasonably practical
- Medicines must only be prescribed to a child where written permission for that medicine has been obtained from the child’s parent/carer
As mentioned, the Early Years Foundation Stage 2017 says that providers may require medical training or technical knowledge for some medicines. As a local authority we would advise it is best practice that this is sought prior to the child attending the provision where medical need is already known; this will ensure the safety of the child and safeguard all practitioners. If Early Years providers working within the private, voluntary and independent sector require medical training, this can be requested via a member of Norfolk County Council's Early Years team or by calling 01603 222300, option 3.
Medical training provided includes:
- Anaphylaxis (the use of epi-pens)
- Epilepsy awareness
- Gastrostomy awareness
- Tracheostomy awareness
Training is provided on site wherever possible at an agreed time between the Early Years provider and the trainer. The training is recommended for all staff working within the provision, but in some cases depending on the need more detailed training should be accessed via the individual health professionals working directly with the child.
The cost of the training is currently met from within Norfolk County Council and therefore is free to Early Years providers at the point of delivery. However, this is subject to change depending on the availability of funding.