Financial help

If you stay in full-time education your parents can continue to claim Child Benefit, unless one of them has an individual income of more than £50,000.

Your parents may also be able to continue claiming other benefits such as Child Tax Credit.

Find out the latest information on Child Benefit, 16-19

If you were given free school meals when you were at school, you may be able to get free meals at your sixth form, college, sixth form college or training provider.

You will need to speak to the sixth form, college, sixth form college or training provider you are planning to attend to find out about how you can claim your free meals.

You will be given a free meal on the days when you expected to be in to attend your course.

If you think you are going to find it hard to pay for the costs of education or training, you may be able to get a bursary (extra money).

Norfolk’s school sixth forms, colleges and training providers decide who should be given a bursary, how much they will get and when it will be paid.

A bursary is for students who most need help with the costs of:

  • Transport to and from sixth form or college
  • Your lunch
  • Stationary, equipment and course books

If you are on an apprenticeship and you are being paid a wage, you will not be able to get a bursary, but if you are on a traineeship, you may be able to apply.

There are two types of bursary.

Vulnerable student bursary

If you are in one of the following groups, you may be able to get a bursary of up to £1,200 a year:

  • In care or a care leaver
  • Getting Income Support (or Universal Credit) in your own name
  • Getting Employment Support Allowance (or Universal Credit in place of ESA) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payments (PIP) in your own name

You do not have to be living independently from your parents / carers to claim Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit (UC), but if you are given these benefits, your parents / carers will no longer be able to claim Child Benefit for you.

Discretionary bursary

Every sixth form or college has their own rules for discretionary bursaries. If you apply for a discretionary bursary, they will want you to show them evidence that you need the bursary and use this to make a decision.

How to apply

If you think you will need help from the 16-19 bursary fund, you need to speak to the sixth form, college or training provider that you are applying to.

Find out more about the 16-19 Bursary Fund

If you have to live away from home to study because the course you want isn’t offered near where you live, you may be able to get help with term-time accommodation costs.

Find out more about the residential support scheme

These awards help to pay for course and living costs at some of the leading private dance and drama schools in England.

The numbers of the awards is limited and demand for them is high.

Find out more about dance and drama awards

The Army, RAF, Navy and Marines all offer bursary and scholarship schemes to young people.

They can be very competitive and you need to show real commitment to wanting to study as well as in joining the armed forces.

Find out more...

About the Army or call 01603 624616

About the RAF or call 0345 605 5555

About the Royal Navy or call 01603 620033

If you are a teenage parent and want to continue in education, you can get help through Care to Learn with childcare costs.

Find out more about Care to Learn here or call 0800 121 8989 to speak to someone.

Do I qualify for help?

To get help with your transport costs to sixth form or college you must:

  • Live in Norfolk, at least three miles from the sixth form or college (measured by the nearest walking route)
  • Be studying full-time (more than 15 hours per week)
  • Be under 19 on 1 September, or 21 years old for those with special educational needs
  • Be attending a state-funded school sixth form, a sixth form college, a further education college or a specialist college and travelling on a core route

If you have special educational needs, there are different arrangements which you can find out more about here.

Yes, I qualify for help

Before applying for travel assistance under our post-16 travel scheme, it is important to check if you can get a better price from your local bus or train operator or from the sixth form or college that you are planning to attend.

Find out about the travel options to your chosen sixth form or college.

Our post-16 travel scheme may give you a reduced price travel pass for bus or train journeys to sixth form or college. There is yearly contribution you pay towards your transport costs. Find out the latest information here.

It is important that you compare the post-16 travel scheme price with the price offered by your local bus or train operator, as it may not be the cheapest option for you.

You can apply for a discount on the full cost of the post-16 travel scheme if your family is getting a qualifying low income benefit. The post-16 travel scheme fee can be paid in installments to help with budgeting.

Please note that the post-16 travel scheme does not apply:

  • If you are on a workplace apprenticeship
  • For weekend or evening travel (if you want to travel at other times it may be more cost-effective to consider pre-paid tickets offered by operators, especially if they offer a 16-19 discount)

We also offer a cycling allowance of £200 per year to students who are eligible for support under the general School and College Transport Policy.

We aim to support cycling as a healthy and green alternative using a car, bus, train or moped and so will pay you the grant instead of a bus pass.

Find out more about the cycling allowance

If you will find it hard to get to sixth form, college, work or your apprenticeship, Kickstart can help with a moped loan.

Find more information and application details here or contact Kickstart on 01362 699923.

You will need a provisional driving licence to use a moped.

Was this webpage helpful?