Class teacher

What is the role of a class or subject teacher?

Provision for pupils with Special Educational Needs and or Disabilities (SEND) is a matter for the school as a whole. The class or subject teacher has responsibility for teaching all pupils with or without SEND.

All teaching and non-teaching staff should be involved in developing the school’s SEN policy and or SEN information report. They should be fully aware of the school’s procedures for identifying, assessing and making provision for pupils with SEND.

Children make progress at different rates and have different ways in which they learn best. When planning lessons based on the curriculum, your child's teacher will take account of this by looking carefully at how they organise the classroom, books and materials.

The teacher will choose suitable ways to help your child learn from a range of activities (often described as 'differentiating the curriculum').

If your child is making slower progress or having particular difficulties in one area, they may be given extra help or different lessons to help them succeed.

Just because your child is making slower progress than you expected or the teachers are providing different support, help or activities in class, this doesn't necessarily mean that your child has a ‘special’ educational need.

Contact a class or subject teacher

If you are concerned about the progress your child is making, your first point of contact should be your child’s class teacher or form tutor. If your child has SEN you may also speak to the school’s Special Educational Needs co-ordinator (SENCO).

You can find contact details for all Norfolk schools on our School Finder.

Was this webpage helpful?