The Compass Centres
The Compass Centres are commissioned by Norfolk County Council Children’s Services and delivered in partnership by the Short Stay School for Norfolk (who provide education) and Norfolk and Suffolk Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust (who provide therapy).
Who are they for?
Children and young people in Key Stage 1-3, who have severe and challenging behaviour or emerging or actual mental health needs, including attachment issues or developmental trauma.
Without the specialist intervention and support, these children and young people might have to be placed in residential schools or out of county care, losing their attachments to their families and local communities.
All placements are joint-funded for the therapeutic element by Clinical Commissioning Groups, therefore assessed needs must reach the threshold for Tier 3 Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).
What do they offer?
The Compass Centres provide high quality education services and therapeutic interventions through an inclusive culture which works on children and young people’s strengths using an integrated approach to education and therapy.
Parents and carers are fully involved in the work and have easy access to both the teachers and therapists.
The staff work creatively to engage children and young people, providing a flexible and individually tailored response to the needs of each pupil with the aim of preparing them for reintegration into mainstream school.
Who is in the team?
The staff team includes specialist teachers, specialist support assistants, clinical psychologists and together with a range of clinical staff including art therapists and music therapists.
Where are they?
There are 50 places in three centres across the county:
- Compass East - Belton, Great Yarmouth
- Compass West - Pott Row, King’s Lynn
- Compass Central - The old Lingwood Junior School (from September 2015)
How is a referral made?
- Pupils with statements or Education, Health and Care Plans – Education Health and Care Plan Coordinator
- Pupils with School Support - Executive Head Short Stay School for Norfolk, Clinical Commissioning Team (LAC), Locality Co-ordinators
- Schools cannot refer pupils directly to the Compass
- Parents and carer cannot refer directly to this service.
- Where Tier 3 CAMHS staff or Community Paediatricians wish to explore the option of a Compass placement, please contact the Consultant Clinical Psychologist at the Compass.