Short Stay School for Norfolk
The County Council Children’s Services no longer provides these services via a directly managed Pupil Referral Unit. Since April 2013 the Short Stay School for Norfolk has become an Alternative Provision Academy called the Short Stay School for Norfolk Academy Trust.
What does it provide?
- Full-time education from day six of a permanent exclusion (day one for any Looked After Child or day 15 for a child who is not on a school roll and missing education by other means, ie newly arrived to Norfolk) to the same number of hours as required in mainstream schools by age and phase
- Education to those children who are unable to attend school on a long-term basis for medical reasons, to the same number of hours as required in mainstream schools by age and phase, unless it is not in the interests of the young person’s health and wellbeing to do so
- Full-time education to those children who, for other reasons, would be unable to receive suitable education unless arrangements were made for them
- Delivery of the Norfolk managed - move scheme
- Manage Compass Centres
- A range of traded services to schools and clusters of schools
Where is it?
The Short Stay School for Norfolk is made up of four schools around the county:
- The Locksley School, Norwich
- The Rosebery School, King’s Lynn
- The Brooklands School, Gorleston
- The Douglas Bader School, Coltishall
Who is it for?
The service caters for learners aged 5-16 who:
- Have been permanently excluded from school
- Have long term medical needs evidenced by a GP letter which are preventing their attendance at their usual school
- Are not on a school roll for whatever reason (does not include those who have elective home education)
Visit the Short Stay School’s website for more information.
Referrals to the Short Stay School for Norfolk Referral Pack
Local Authority Medical Needs Officer
Every Local Authority is required to have a named officer responsible for the education of children with additional health needs.
Norfolk County Council’s named person is Sam Bartram, Medical Needs Coordinator. His working days are Wednesdays, Thursdays and alternate Mondays.
Contact Address: Professional Development Centre (Norwich), 144 Woodside Road, Norwich, Norfolk, NR7 9QL
Contact Telephone Number: 01603 223609