We no longer provide the Short Stay School for Norfolk via a directly managed pupil referral unit. Since April 2013, the Short Stay School for Norfolk has become part of The Engage Multi Academy Trust.
What do the short stay schools provide?
- Full-time education for the same number of hours as required in mainstream schools by age and phase:
- from day six of a permanent exclusion
- from day one for any looked after child
- from day 15 for a child who is not on a school roll and missing education by other means, ie newly arrived to Norfolk
- Education to those children who are unable to attend school on a long-term basis because of their medical needs. This is for the same number of hours as required in mainstream schools by age and phase, unless it is not in the interests of the young person’s health and wellbeing to do so
- Full-time education to those children who, for other reasons, would be unable to receive suitable education unless arrangements were made for them
- Delivery of the Norfolk managed-move scheme
- Management of the Compass Centres
- A range of traded services to schools and clusters of schools
Where are the schools?
There are of four short stay schools around the county:
Who are the schools for?
The service is for learners aged 5-16 who:
- Have been permanently excluded from school
- Have long term medical needs evidenced by a GP letter, which are preventing their attendance at their usual school
- Are not on a school roll for whatever reason. This does not include those who have elective home education
Visit the Short Stay School for Norfolk website for more information.
How to make a referral to the Short Stay School for Norfolk
For children with non-medical needs
Download the Short Stay School for Norfolk - non-medical needs referral pack
Please note, this pack should only be completed and submitted for referrals for pupils with non-medical needs. Send the completed pack to:
The Locksley School, Norwich, NR4 6LG
For children with medical needs
Visit medical needs education provision for further information.