Virtual school for sensory support
The Virtual School Sensory Support (VSSS) works across Norfolk with children and young people, 0-25 years old who have a sensory loss and are in education. Sensory loss includes deafness, vision impairment and multi-sensory impairment.
The LA commissions VSSS to provide a service to children and young people with a sensory loss who are in compulsory education, but not post 16. Post 16 providers can commission VSSS, through a Service Level Agreement, to provide support by contacting the Headteacher.
The Virtual School Sensory Support has a Governing Body and its mission statement is:
To champion the education of children and young people with a sensory loss, through delivery of comprehensive and flexible support to them and their families to help them develop high aspirations and reach their full potential.
VSSS works in homes and educational settings. We work closely with health, specialist speech and language therapists and social care from diagnosis.
We work across the county providing;
- Assessment of individual needs eg visual functioning and specialist equipment as well as statutory assessment for Education, Health and Care Plans
- Advice and support on how to manage sensory loss in different settings eg home, school and community
- Training for children, schools/settings and parents/carers on the impact of sensory loss and strategies to promote inclusion
- A range of specialist equipment and auxiliary aids to support inclusion.
VSSS employs a range of professionals to work with children and young people with sensory loss including;
- Qualified Teacher of the Deaf
- Qualified Teacher of the Visually Impaired
- Qualified Teacher of Multi-Sensory Impairment
- Habilitation Officer
- Specialist Support Assistants
- ICT Specialist Trainer
- ICT Technical Officer
- Educational Audiologist
- Child Psychotherapist
VSSS has an open referral system. Referral guidance and forms can be found on the Virtual School Sensory Support website.
There are various school options including Deaf Resource Bases at Colman Infant/Colman Junior School and City Academy Norwich. On occasion children and young people will need to attend an out of county setting.
Who does Virtual School Sensory Support work for?
Norfolk County Council
Contact Virtual School Sensory Support
VSSS is based at:
Sensory Support Centre
148 Woodside Road
Telephone: 01603 704040