Cookie Consent by Adults continuing healthcare - Norfolk County Council

Adults continuing healthcare

Some people with long-term complex health needs qualify for free social care. This is arranged and funded solely by the NHS. It is known as NHS continuing healthcare.

Who is this service for?

Individuals over the age of 18. They must be assessed for their eligibility to receive NHS continuing healthcare. The criteria applied are the National Framework for NHS Continuing Healthcare. This is revised and updated periodically by the Department of Health.

Who can make a referral for NHS continuing healthcare?

Referrals are accepted from patients and their representatives, health and social care professionals and care providers.

How to make a referral

If you are registered with a GP in Norwich, North Norfolk, South Norfolk and West Norfolk:

  • Call 01603 257243

For further information visit South Norfolk CCG

If you are registered with a GP in Great Yarmouth and Waveney:

  • Call 01502 718658

For further information visit Great Yarmouth and Waveney CCG.

How does the service change between Children’s Services and Adult Services?

NHS continuing healthcare is only available once a child reaches their eighteenth birthday. For a young person in transition to adult services, the NHS continuing healthcare team must be alerted so the need for the service can be considered. In most cases this happens between the child’s seventeenth and eighteenth birthday. This is to ensure that commissioning of care is efficient and effective throughout the transition.

Was this webpage helpful?