Disagreement resolution

In Norfolk disagreement resolution is delivered by KIDS SEN Mediation Service which is an independent organisation

To contact KIDS SEN Mediation Service telephone 03330 062 835 or email senmediation@kids.org.uk 

They will be happy to talk through your issues and let you know if disagreement resolution may help you.

The service gives everybody a chance to give their own views and listen to others. It is not confrontational but looks for solutions that everybody can agree to.

What is disagreement resolution?

This is used when there are disagreements which cannot be appealed to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal, (SENDIST).

These can be:

  • When the parent or a young person disagrees with any aspect of how SEN support is provided in a maintained nursery or school, academy or free school and how they are carrying out their education, health and care duties
  • How local authorities are keeping their duties under review, assessing needs and drawing up Education Health and Care (EHC) plans. Also the duties on governing bodies and proprietors to use their ‘best endeavours’ to meet children and young people’s SEN
  • Disagreements about what is provided (provision) for children and young people in maintained nurseries and schools, academies and free schools
  • Disagreements about health and social care provision during the time the EHC plan is being drawn up, reviewed or the child or young person is being reassessed
  • Help to resolve disagreements between health commissioning bodies and the local authorities during EHC plan assessments and reassessments, drawing up or reviewing an EHC plan. This can include the description of the child or young person’s health, education and care provision. These disagreements will not include parents and young people

Nurseries, schools, post 16 institutions, parents, young people, health and children’s services of the local authority may request the service. It is free to parents, young people and education providers.

All parties need to agree to take part as it is a voluntary process. This is a confidential service unless there are child protection issues.

Please ring KIDS SEN Mediation Service or Norfolk SEND Partnership who will help you understand the details and guide you through disagreement resolution.

To contact KIDS SEN Mediation Service telephone 03330 062 835 or email senmediation@kids.org.uk