What a setting will do if they are concerned about your child's progress

Step 1

Children learn at different rates and in different ways from each other. The teacher will use different ways of teaching and different lesson materials to help individual children learn best. This is called “differentiating the curriculum” and is a normal part of the teacher’s role. Sometimes a teaching assistant may carry out the work with a child.

Step 2

If a child is not making the expected progress even when the teacher has adapted their teaching methods and materials to suit the child’s style and rate of learning, then the child may have SEN. Extra support will be put in place. The preschool or school should discuss this with parents.

The child will receive more help, or a different kind of help according to their needs and the support available in the school. Help could include small group support from the class teacher and/or teaching assistant, special equipment, or a particular teaching program. It does not necessarily mean the child will have one to one support.

Step 3

Most children who are identified as having SEN will have their needs met within a mainstream preschool or school classroom.

A very small number of children will not make enough progress at school even with additional SEN support. In this case the school or the parent may decide to ask the County Council to carry out an assessment of the child’s needs. This may result in a decision to issue an Education, Health and Care plan.

If you have questions or concerns about the support your child’s school is providing then you can contact SEND Partnership for free, impartial advice and support.