Cookie Consent by Other benefits - Norfolk County Council

Other benefits

We are not responsible for benefit payments, which can be applied for via 

Contact a Family has a team of expert benefit advisers who can offer detailed, one-to-one advice to families with disabled children. Contact them to check that your family is getting the benefits you are entitled to.

This is replacing income and work-related benefits such as:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Child tax credit
  • Working tax credit
  • Housing benefit

For more information about Universal Credits visit the website.

An Access to Work grant can pay for practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition to help you:

  • Start working
  • Stay in work
  • Move into self-employment or start a business

For more information about Access to Work visit the website.

This grant helps low income households become more energy efficient and have lower bills, If you are in receipt of:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Support Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

you can apply to install a new A-rated boiler for free. For more information visit the Boiler Grants website.

The CEA Card allows you to obtain one free ticket for the person who is accompanying you to enable you to visit the cinema.

People, over the age of 8-years-old, who receive one of the following benefits are eligible:

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Blind Persons Registration
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

There is a yearly £6 administration fee for this card.

For more information visit the CEA Card website.

You might be able to get free and confidential advice from Civil Legal Advice as part of Legal Aid.

You can get help from Civil Legal Advice for problems including:

  • Debt, if your home is at risk
  • Housing, eg if you’re homeless or at risk of being evicted
  • Domestic abuse
  • Family issues, eg family mediation or if your child’s being taken into care
  • Special education needs
  • Discrimination

For more information about Civil Legal Advice visit the website.

Is a payment for each seven day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.  You can get this payment if you receive a qualifying benefit.

For more information about cold weather payments visit the GOV.UK website.

You may be eligible if you are on a low income or claim benefits.  Each local council runs its own scheme and the amount of discount you may get on your bill depends on:

  • Where you live - each council runs its own scheme
  • Your circumstances (eg income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
  • Your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
  • If your children live with you
  • If other adults live with you

For more information about Council Tax Reductions visit the GOV.UK website.

A scheme for disabled people to help them with council tax costs, by charging council tax on a lower valuation band.

To claim a reduction you must show that a disabled person lives in the property, and also that the property has at least one of the following:

  • An extra kitchen or bathroom to meet the needs of a disabled person
  • Any other room (except a toilet) which is mainly used by a disabled person to meet their needs
  • Enough indoor space for a disabled person to use their wheelchair

Applications to this scheme are through your local council and you can get advice from Citizens Advice.

For more information about the Council tax reduction scheme for disabled people (adult or child) visit the GOV.UK website.

You could get a grant if you are disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:

  • Widen doors and install ramps
  • Improve access to rooms and facilities – eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • Provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • Adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

To be eligible for this grant you or someone living in your property must be disabled.

Either you or the person you are applying for must:

  • Own the property or be a tenant
  • Intend to live in the property during the grant period (which is currently five years)

For more information about Disabled Facilities Grants visit the GOV.UK website.

A concessionary travel pass entitles you to free travel on all off-peak services (from 9.30am-11pm) Monday to Friday and at all times during weekends and Bank Holidays.

You are entitled to a disabled concessionary travel pass from Norfolk County Council if you are a Norfolk resident of bus fare paying age (five years old+) and have a permanent disability or one lasting at least 12 months.

This is a benefit for people aged 16 - State Pension age  whose health problems mean that they are unable to work.

For more information about Employment and support allowance visit the GOV.UK website.

If you need extra employment support because of a disability, your local Jobcentre Plus can put you in touch with one of their disability employment advisers (DEAs).

A disability employment adviser (DEA) at your local Jobcentre can help you find a job or gain new skills and tell you about disability friendly employers in your area.

For more information about disability employment advisers visit the Job Centre Guide website.

Is for those who pay rent and are on a low income. It may pay part or all of your rent depending upon your income and circumstances.

For more information about Housing benefits visit the GOV.UK website.

Is a means-tested benefit to help individuals or families on a low income and with savings below £16,000.

For more information about Income support visit the GOV.UK website.

If you are a homeowner getting either:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

You may be able to get help towards interest payments on:

  • Your mortgage
  • Loans you’ve taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home

For more information about Support for Mortgage Interest visit the GOV.UK website.

Was this webpage helpful?