Personal independence payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) may help with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability.  To be eligible you must:

  • Be aged 16 to 64
  • Have a long-term health condition or disability and difficulties with activities related to ‘daily living’ and/or mobility
  • Be in Great Britain when you claim - there are some exceptions, eg members and family members of the Armed Forces
  • Have been in Great Britain for at least two of the last three years
  • Be habitually resident in the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands
  • Not be subject to immigration control (unless you’re a sponsored immigrant)

It is made up of two parts, you might qualify for one or both components.

Daily living component

You may get the daily living component of PIP if you need help with things like:

  • Preparing or eating food
  • Washing, bathing and using the toilet
  • Dressing and undressing
  • Reading and communicating
  • Managing your medicines or treatments
  • Making decisions about money
  • Engaging with other people

Mobility component

You may get the mobility component of PIP if you need help going out or moving around.

How your claim is assessed

PIP uses a points-based system to decide whether someone qualifies for the benefit, and if so, at what rate.  You receive points depending on the level of difficulty you experience both in daily living and mobility

As well as having to complete a claim form and questionnaire, most people will be asked to attend a face to face assessment undertaken by an independent health care professional.  This will not be your own GP but a health professional working on behalf of the Department of Work and Pensions.

Terminal Illness

There are special rules if you are not expected to live more than six months.

Call DWP to start your PIP claim and then send them form DS1500 (these are free and you can only get them from a doctor, specialist or consultant).

You will not need to complete the ‘How your condition affects you’ form or go to a face-to-face consultation.

Claiming PIP

Call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to start your PIP claim

Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

You will then be sent a ‘How your condition affects you’ form. It comes with notes to help you fill it in. You can also read Citizens Advice's help on filling in the form

Was this webpage helpful?