Cookie Consent by Tax Credits - Norfolk County Council

Tax Credits

We are not responsible for benefit payments, which can be applied for via


There are two tax credits:

  • Working Tax Credit (WTC) - a means-tested tax credit for working people on low incomes
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC) - a means-tested tax credit for people with children

Both tax credits are paid by HM Revenue and can be claimed online or by requesting a claim form from the tax credits helpline, 0345 300 3900. Couples (this includes same sex partners) must make a joint claim.

Child Tax Credit

You could get Child Tax Credit for each child you are responsible for if they are:

You may get extra Child Tax Credits if the child either:

However whether you receive any payments will depend on your family circumstances and your annual income. You can apply whether you work or not and it is paid on top of child benefit.

Working Tax Credit

You could get Working Tax Credit if either of the following apply:

  • You are aged from 16 to 24 and have a child or a qualifying disability
  • You are 25 or over, with or without children

You must:

  • Work a certain number of hours a week
  • Get paid for the work you do (or expect to)
  • Have an income below a certain level

The amount of tax credits you get is usually based on your annual taxable income. If you have a partner, your joint income is taken into account. Use the’s Tax credit calculator to estimate how much you could get.

If you receive the 16-19 bursary (previously the Education Maintenance Allowance) this could affect a Working Tax Credit claim.

Working tax credit can include help towards certain approved childcare costs.

Working tax credit is also for:

  • People with a disability working at least 16 hours a week

Please note you cannot claim tax credits and Universal Credit at the same time.

Was this webpage helpful?