Cookie Consent by Preparing for adult life (PfAL) service - Norfolk County Council

Preparing for adult life (PfAL) service

There are many people who can support your young person in their transition to adult life; you as a parent, teachers and social workers.

If more specialist help is required, it may be appropriate for the Preparing for Adult Life (PfAL) service to work with your young person. 

Referrals can be made to the PfAL team if:

  • Your young person is 14-17-years old. They can be referred at 13-years-old, if the referral follows an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan review in Year 9
  • Your young person has a disability. This could be a learning disability, mental health needs, autism or physical disability
  • Your young person is likely to need support from adult social services (under the Care Act 2014), to achieve their outcomes of good health, independent living, employment, friends, relationships and community inclusion 

Making a referral

If your young person with SEND is 14-17-years-old, you should ask their allocated social worker to make the referral. Alternatively, a referral can be made by anyone by ringing the Children’s Advice and Duty Service (CADS) Professionals Referral Line, or in the case of members of the public, call 0344 800 8020. 

If your young person is 18-years-old and older, referrals should be made to adult social services

Was this webpage helpful?