Transition between children's and adult health services

Health support services

Integrated learning disabilities service

The Integrated learning disabilities service has health and social care staff, such as social workers, learning disability nurses, speech and language therapists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and clinical psychologists.

These teams support young people with a learning disability. They also support young people with autism. There are specialist nurses for young adults who have behaviours that may challenge, complex health needs and a presentation of mental health.

It is important to remember that even if a young person with a learning disability does not qualify for social services support, they may still be eligible for specialist health support.

Starfish learning disability children and adolescent mental health service  

The Starfish learning disabilities child and adolescent mental health service supports young people moving into adulthood who have a learning disability and another condition that is linked to their emotional or mental health. They work closely with the integrated learning disabilities service.

Acute liaison nursing service

The acute liaison nursing service for adults with learning disabilities has specialist nurses who are based in mainstream hospitals in Norfolk. They can support people with a learning disability who have a hospital appointment or overnight stay.

Residential respite care

Health services may offer residential respite care in places such as:

NHS continuing care – children and young people

Continuing care is for eligible children up to the age of 18 whose complex health needs cannot be met by existing universal or specialist services. It is often part of a wider package of care agreed and delivered by health, education and social care services.

It is very important when planning your young person’s transition to adult health services, that someone from the continuing care service attends any education, health and care (EHC) plan or other transition planning meetings. This is so that future planning decisions, including funding decisions, can be made.

NHS continuing healthcare for adults

When your young person turns 18-years-old, if they are eligible they can transfer from continuing care – children and young people, to continuing healthcare for adults.

This is a package of health and social care services. Specialist staff from the integrated learning disabilities service can help with the transition to the new service.

If your young person did not qualify for continuing care as a child, they may still qualify for continuing healthcare as an adult.

If your young person has complex health needs or has been getting continuing care as a child, there are likely to be many people involved in the transition planning. It is very important that you know which person is responsible for making referrals and paying for your support. It is important you have a transition healthcare plan.

Was this webpage helpful?