Transition between children's and adult health services

Planning process

If your child has complex health needs, they should have a named professional in charge of helping their move to adult health services.

You and your child should be at the centre of the planning process. You should be able to ask questions, give views and make decisions. The professionals supporting your young person should listen to your views and involve you in decisions about the future.

Your child’s named professional should make sure that your child’s health needs are included in a health action plan (example).

If your child has an education, health and care (EHC) plan their health needs will be recorded as part of their plan. It is important that the professionals who have supported your young person as a child, speak to their colleagues in adult health services in plenty of time. This is to ensure adult staff are fully trained to meet your young person’s health needs and changes to adult equipment and buildings are made.

Was this webpage helpful?