Adult learning disabilities transition link worker

Adult learning disabilities transition link workers work with young people between the ages of 16 to 25 and their families, working closely with the children with disabilities transition workers up to the young person’s 18th birthday, when they will take over the care support. If you are a care leaver you may have support from both adult services and from the Leaving Care Service.

Transition link workers may support a young person with:

  • Their ongoing Preparing for Adulthood Reviews at school and are usually invited to attend when a young person reaches 16 or 17
  • Arranging services such as Personal Budgets, respite care, transport (but not to college unless the young person is 21), day service opportunities and supported activities
  • Planning and seeking employment opportunities
  • Exploring housing options
  • Getting advice on welfare benefits and money, education options and
  • Making referrals to specialist health services.

Your adult transition link worker will then remain with you until your adult support package is in place and has been reviewed to make sure that it is working. This often takes about a year from the young person’s 18th birthday, but may take longer if someone’s needs are more complex. Ongoing support will then be available from other social workers/care managers in the Learning Disabilities Team should the young person require additional support.

There are five transition link workers, one for each area of Norfolk (North, South, East, West and City) who are based in the adult learning disabilities service.

How can I get help from an adult learning disabilities transition link worker?

Many young people join adult services by being referred by children’s services. Often the transition worker with the Children with Disabilities Service makes the referral to the adult learning disabilities transition link worker who will then place the young person on a waiting list.

For those young adults who do not have a service from children’s services, a referral can be made to adult services by anyone (including parents, teachers and health professionals) requesting that an assessment for adult social care if they feel that the young person may be in need of this support.

They will then contact them to carry out an assessment of their adult care needs either before or when they reach 17. This then allows plenty of time to make sure that everything is in place to meet their support needs when they reach 18.

What other adult services are there?

  • The Community Support Teams work with young people with physical disabilities or sensory support needs
  • The Asperger’s Team, who do not have a transition link worker, but have social workers and care managers who offer the same support for young adults

Was this webpage helpful?