Children with Disabilities transition worker

There are three specialist children with disabilities transition workers covering Norfolk who are social workers that work with young people aged 13 and over and their families.

Children with disabilities transition workers assess a young person’s needs and provide:

  • Access to services such as short breaks, direct payments and home support (for those young people who are eligible)
  • Information about youth clubs, social activities and welfare benefits
  • Help with transition planning and support

How does the Children with Disabilities transition worker support me with transition?

Transition workers will often attend the Preparing for Adulthood reviews held at complex needs schools and remain a point of contact for young people and their families until they reach adulthood.

The children with disabilities transition worker will also keep a list of all young people receiving support from children’s services who they think may require support from adult social care services when they reach 18. Most of these young people will have either a learning disability or a physical disability.

Once parents have agreed, the children with disabilities transition worker with notify the Adult Learning Disabilities Service (or Community Team if someone has a physical disability) that a young person may require support when they become 18. This is called a referral.

This information is usually passed on when a young person reaches Year 9 and the shared information is used to help adult services to plan for future needs. Transition workers will also speak to EHC plan coordinators, guidance advisers and any health professionals who may be involved in the young person’s transition to adult care.

Was this webpage helpful?