Cookie Consent by Parental concerns - Norfolk County Council

Parental concerns

It is very important to speak with your child’s school if you have concerns about your child’s progress. 

If you are worried your child is falling behind, but no one has identified a concern:

  • Talk to someone who is working with your child
  • It is a really good idea to make a note of all your worries and concerns before you speak to someone. You could for example keep a diary of how your child is behaving at home on different days of the week, before and after school to see if there are any patterns emerging. This could help to identify if there are worries about certain subjects, teachers or peer groups

Who you should talk to:

  • Before your child starts school – your GP or health visitor
  • At nursery or pre-school – your child's key worker or Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo)
  • At primary school – your child's class teacher or SENCo 
  • At secondary school – your child's form tutor, subject teacher, head of year or SENCo
  • In post-16 education or training – your child's tutor, teacher or SENCo

Special Educational Needs (SEN) Support

If your child is not making expected progress at school, even when their teacher has adapted teaching methods and materials to suit the child’s style and rate of learning, they may have Special Educational Needs (SEN). Find out more about SEN Support and the special educational provision we expect from schools

You and your child should be involved with decisions that are being made about SEN Support.

Information, advice and support 

Norfolk SEND Partnership website has downloadable booklets on the most commonly asked questions about SEN. They can also give impartial information, advice and support about SEND, across education, health or social care (where it is linked to education).

Was this webpage helpful?