As long as your eye sight meets the required standard, glasses are not a bar to applying.
If you are not sure if your eyesight meets the required standards we strongly advise you to seek advice from your optician before applying.
The eyesight standards are as follows:
- Uncorrected distance vision no worse than 6/18 in the better eye, and 6/24 in the worse eye
- Corrected distance acuity should be at least 6/9 with both eyes open and reach 6/12 in the weaker eye
- Near vision should be able to read N12 at 30 cm with both eyes open unaided
- Have normal binocular field of vision
- Have an appropriate level of colour perception. If you have either normal colour vision or slightly abnormal green colour vision you're still suitable for appointment to the fire service. The recommended test procedure uses the Ishihara test as the initial screen. If you fail the screening we may schedule an additional test at one of our preferred opticians.