Effective as of 1 April 2021.
The Historic Environment Service (HES) has a policy of charging developers and their agents, consultants and contractors to consult the Historic Environment Record for commercial purposes. If you are consulting the HER digital datasets for any other purpose some charges may be waived.
Charges are levied for officer time required to service an enquiry, in person or remotely. The fees may include staff time to extract electronic information from the HER database or other digital datasets, to provide assistance with use of the records, and/or to retrieve or replace documents or photographs from the HES archives.
All fees are exclusive of VAT and are subject to review.
Digital data curated by the HER is provided on a one-year licence. After one year the data must be destroyed and a new search is required.
Data formats are dependent on the dataset. Available datasets include:
- HER Monument Data (PDF database records, mapped extent as GIS files or PDF)
- HER Event Data (PDF database records, mapped extent as GIS files or PDF)
- Aerial Investigation Mapping - Cropmark and Earthwork Transcriptions (GIS or AutoCAD files)
- Historic Landscape Characterisation (HLC) Data (PDF reports, mapped extent as GIS files)
Please allow for a minimum of 30 minutes of officer time to retrieve each dataset.
Standard dataset search
Completed within 10 working days.
- Minimum charge (includes up to 1 hour of officer time): £110
- Additional officer time (charged per hour): £55
Priority dataset search
Completed within 2 working days.
- Minimum charge (includes up to 1 hour of officer time): £220
- Additional officer time (charged per hour): £110
An additional charge may be incurred for search areas exceeding a 1km radius.
For large infrastructure projects or areas 8,000 hectares (5km radius) and above please contact us for a quotation.
Single site search
This is for a search of either:
- A single property and curtilage, or
- A rural site of no more than 150 acres (60 hectares) with a buffer of up to 50m
The service will return all HER Monument Data and identify all available HER archive material for those sites for a set fee of £55.
Norfolk Historic Environment Record archives
Assisted research visit (Archives)
The Norfolk Historic Environment Record maintains several collections of paper and photographic archive material which support the primary digital database. These can be accessed at our premises by appointment.
Charges will be levied for officer time to retrieve and replace documents or photographs and/or to provide assistance with use of the records in the following circumstances only:
- The archives are being accessed for commercial purposes
- The archives are being accessed for a non-commercial request requiring a significant amount of officer time to facilitate
The minimum charge for this service, which includes up to 1 hour of officer time, is £110. Additional officer time is charged at £55 per hour.
If an Assisted Research Visit is requested at the same time as an HER Search the officer time fees may be combined in one invoice. This only applies if the HER Search and the Assisted Research Visit are carried out within a 4-week period.
The majority of photographs and drawings held within the Historic Environment Record Archives and the Norfolk Air Photo Library are suitable for reproduction for personal use. There are a small number of items that cannot be copied because of copyright and other restrictions.
All items are supplied as high-resolution electronic images (usually TIFFs) sent via file transfer. If file transfer is not possible, items can be supplied on CD and a £2.50 fee for postage and packaging will be applied.
The following fees apply to both commercial and non-commercial requests:
- First image: £13
- Additional images: £6 each
For bulk requests, contact email@example.com for a quotation.
Image reproduction for publication (excludes academic journals)
High-resolution digital copies of images and drawings can be provided for reproduction in books, part works, journals, periodicals, slides, newspaper articles and magazines.