Norfolk Education Library Service (ELS)
Research shows that children who read more succeed more. The Norfolk ELS is the Norfolk Library and Information Service specialist provider for all educational settings. We are dedicated to increasing children and young people’s access to and interest in reading, as well as working with schools and academies to support staff and improve school library provision.
The experienced and enthusiastic ELS staff team are ready to give advice on books, reading and libraries whatever your requirement, and support continual improvement through:
- Loaning books and resources, using the ELS children’s mobile library as well as deliveries by courier
- Working with children and young people to inspire reading more widely and encourage independent learning and information literacy with sessions in school
- Saving staff time and money by helping you stock, catalogue and organise your library / book corners as rich and dynamic environments
- Training, motivating, inspiring, encouraging and training staff, keeping them up to date with the latest trends and developments and providing opportunities to share good practice
Ofsted says: “All schools should develop policies to promote reading for enjoyment throughout the school” and look for evidence that “Teachers embed reading, writing and communication… exceptionally well across the curriculum, equipping all pupils with the necessary skills to make progress.” Ofsted Handbook 2015
Flexible pricing structure
The token system allows schools to buy exactly the services they need. Buying just one ELS token paid for out of school and/or cluster budgets also unlocks a range of free services, including free loans of dual language formats and large print while stocks are available.
For schools and Academies buying during our Early Bird periods, ELS tokens cost £70.
For more information about prices contact the ELS team.
Home Educating families are also welcome to get in touch to find out about charges for services available to them, including loans of resources.
Where to buy ELS tokens
You can buy tokens through the Educator Solutions website. You will need to login to place your order.
Buying new books at discounted prices
We have negotiated a discount of 26% for any customer wanting to buy books directly from the Peters booksellers website, one of the largest educational and children’s book suppliers in the country. Just contact the ELS team to get your password to shop online. The books can be ordered with plastic jackets to extend the life of the book and, if desired, appropriate labels.
Recommended links for books, reading, inspiration and information
- The Book Trolley is Norfolk Education Library Service's own blog on which the team shares a variety of news, reviews and other useful information about books and literacy.
- TeachingBooks.net has put in one convenient place a wide array of interviews, telecasts, book readings, discussion guides and more, giving readers multimedia connections to Harry Potter books and their author, J. K. Rowling
- BL Online – Turning the Pages. Did you know that there are many wonderful manuscripts available online from the British Library using the Turning the Pages technology? From Mozart’s Musical Diary (with 75 musical excerpts) to Jane Austen’s early work, The History of England, from Blake’s notebook to the original Alice written and illustrated by Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) there is a host of fascinating material to explore
- Peters Booksellers offer a wide range of children’s books. Schools who are customers of the Education Library Service are eligible for a 26% discount! Get in touch for further details of the Peters book ordering website and your school log in.
- The Reading Agency works with public libraries, schools and other organisations to promote reading for life. Lots of good ideas
- Book Trust looks at information and resources about books
- The Literacy Trust supporting literacy in home, school and the wider community. Conferences, research and ideas