Our basic book lending and library information service is free of charge.
We charge for lost or overdue items and certain additional library services in most cases, but check our list of people and groups who do not have to pay.
- 1 day – 10p
- 2 days – 20p
- Remainder of first week – 50p
- 2nd week - £1.10
- 3rd week - £1.60
- 4th week - £2.60
- 5th week - £3.60
- 6th week - £5.10
- 7th week (maximum charge) - £6.60
- 1 day – 5p
- 2 days – 10p
- Remainder of first week – 20p
- 2nd week – 45p
- 3rd week – 65p
- 4th week – 85p
- 5th week - £1.10
- 6th week - £1.60
- 7th week (maximum charge) - £2.10
- Self-service reservation (items from a Norfolk public library) – 60p per item
- Reservation by library staff (items from a Norfolk public library) – 60p per item
- Title reservation on mobile libraries – 60p per item
- Subject request on mobile libraries - Free
- Requests for an item on interlibrary loan from another library service - £8 per item
- Overdue reminders, overdue notifications and reservation available notifications sent by email – Free
- Overdue notifications and reservation available notifications sent by text – 10p
- Overdue notifications and reservation available notifications sent by post – 50p
We charge the full replacement value (recommended retail price) for lost or damaged items, if it’s still in print. By agreement, you could buy us a replacement copy of an item instead. This doesn’t include items such as CDs, DVDs and games, as they may not be legally cleared for hire.
Lost or damaged Storysacks are charged at the replacement cost.
We charge the original purchase price if known, for items which are no longer on sale. Otherwise we charge a standard rate, as listed below.
- Children's books £6
- Adult fiction paperbacks £6
- Adult fiction hardback £11
- Adult non-fiction paperbacks £11
- Adult non-fiction hardback £15
- Large print £20
- Music scores £15
- Sets of spoken word cassettes or CDs £50
- Playaways £50
- Replacement part (cassette or CD) £5
- Music CD (single or double) £12
- DVDs (single) £12
- DVDs (double) £20
- Blu Ray £19
- Computer games £30
The current minimum charge for items borrowed through the British Library which are then lost or damaged is £160.10. The British Library reserves the right to charge more than this for a particularly valuable item. If you are able to return a lost item the charge will be refunded, minus an administration fee of £80.50. British Library charges will change from time to time.
Items borrowed from other library authorities which are then lost or damaged will be charged at the full rate billed to us by the owning library.
- Spoken Word Books on CD (single items or sets) - 80p per 3 week loan and on each renewal
- Playaways - 80p per 3 week loan and on each renewal
- Children's books on CD - Free
The loan and hire charge period for spoken word books on CD and Playaways may vary on mobile libraries
- Vocal set (charge per copy) - 50p per 3 month loan
- Short vocal set (charge per title) - £20 per 3 month loan
- Orchestral set (charge per set) - £25 per 3 month loan
- Additional charge per set obtained on interlibrary loan - £20
- Language courses and educational (general interest) DVDs - £1 per 3 week loan
The loan and hire charge period on mobile libraries may vary