Celebrate the bedtime story in libraries for Pyjamarama with free books
31 May 2019
Libraries in Norfolk are celebrating a fun new reading celebration by giving away nearly 5,000 books and holding events across the county to help children experience the joy and wonder of bedtime stories.
Children who attend the events will receive a free copy of the picture book ‘Car, Car, Truck, Jeep’ by Katrina Charman and Nick Sharratt, a fantastic story to share together at home.
Libraries across the county will be putting on their own pyjama parties for Pyjamarama, with fun story-time activities for children aged 0 to 5. Families can join in with special library activities like rhyme time, bedtime story, and bounce and rhyme, to have fun reading together.
Events will be running from 3 - 9 June. As part of Pyjamarama, BookTrust is working with Norfolk Libraries to ensure as many children as possible have their very own story to read before bed.
Come and enjoy a story time in the magical toy room at Strangers’ Hall, a Museum of domestic history in the heart of Norwich. Get a free copy of ‘Car, Car, Truck, Jeep’ and a taste of Strangers’ Hall’s collection of Children’s books. The activity is included in general admission to the Museum, for more information, including admission prices, visit www.museums.norfolk.gov.uk/strangers-hall
More than 1 in 4 children in the UK aged between 0 and 5 don’t read regularly. This means more than 1.4 million children are missing out on the vital benefits of regular reading in the early years.
Councillor Margaret Dewsbury, Cabinet Member for Communities and Partnerships at Norfolk County Council, said: “Children who read for pleasure are more likely to be happier, healthier and do better in life, so I would encourage as many children and parents to get stuck in with all the fun activities our libraries are putting on for Pyjamarama.”
People can find Pyjamarama events at their local library by visiting www.norfolk.gov.uk/libraries or by asking at their local library.
The reading charity BookTrust, supported by Bloomsbury Children’s Books, has 445,000 copies to give away.
Diana Gerald, Chief Executive of BookTrust said: “We are thrilled that so many children will receive a copy of Car, Car, Truck Jeep and join the festivities for BookTrust’s first ever Pyjamarama celebration. It’s so important for parents and carers to find the time to read with their children and introduce their little one to the magical world of books.”
If families are unable to make it along to their local event they can join in the fun at home, with plenty of PJ themed arts and crafts on the BookTrust website: booktrust.org.uk/pyjamarama-books/
Full list of events
- Strangers Hall – Story time – 5 June at 2.30-3pm
- Acle Library – Rhyme Time Pyjamarama (Children’s Centre) – 4 June at 7.15-7.45pm (join the event via Facebook Live)
- Blofield Library – Rhyme Time Pyjamarama – 5 June at 9.15-10am
- Brundall Library – Rhyme Time Pyjamarama – 3 June at 9.15-10am
- Caister Library – Special “transport build” Lego Club session – 6 June at 3.45-4.45pm
- Dereham Library – Bounce and Rhyme – 6 June at 10-10.30am
- Dersingham Library – Pyjamarama Bounce and Rhymetime – 3 June at 9.45-10.15am
- Diss Library – Story Time – 5 June at 10.30-11am
- Downham Market Library – Pyjamarama Bounce and Rhyme – 6 June at 10.30-11am
- Earlham Library – Story Time/Bounce and Rhyme – 4 June at 2-2.30pm
- Fakenham Library – Story Time/Bounce and Rhyme – 6 June at 1.30-2.15pm
- Gaywood Library – Pyjamarama Rhyme time – 4 June at 10.30-11am
- Gaywood Library – Pyjamarama Stay and Play – 6 June at 10.30-11am
- Gorleston Library – Bounce and Rhyme – 3 June at 1-1.45pm
- Gorleston Library – Teddy Bear’s Picnic with Gorleston Library Friends – 4 June at 10.30-11.30am
- Gorleston Library – Storybox – 5 June at 1.30-2.30pm
- Great Yarmouth Library – Pyjama Party – 7 June at 10-11am
- Hellesdon Library – Bedtime Stories (with craft activities and milk/biscuits) – 7 June at 5.45-6pm
- Holkham Library – Story Time/Bounce and Rhyme – 6 June at 10.30-11.15am
- Hunstanton Library – Story Time – 4 June at 10.30-11am
- King’s Lynn Library – Rhyme Time – 3 and 6 June at 10.30-11am
- Loddon Library – Story Time (bedtime songs and colouring) – 6 June at 1-2pm
- Long Stratton Library – Story Time – 3 June at 12-12.30pm
- Martham Library – Pyjama Party – 7 June at 6-7pm (join the event via Facebook Live)
- Norwich and Norfolk Millennium Library – Story Time – 7 June at 10.30-11.30am
- North Walsham Library – Bounce and Rhyme – 5 June at 10.30-11.30am
- Poringland Library – Story Time (bedtime songs and colouring) – 4 June at 10.30-11.30am
- Sprowston Library – Pyjama Story Time – 7 June at 6-6.45pm
- St Williams Way Library – Pyjama Story Time – 7 June at 6-6.45pm (join the event via Facebook Live)
- Stalham Library – Bounce and Rhyme – 6 June at 11-11.30am
- Swaffham Library – Pyjamarama Bounce and Rhymetime – 4 June at 10-10.30am
- Thetford Library – Special edition of Baby Bounce and Rhyme – 3 June at 10.30-11am Tuckswood Library – Story Time / Bounce and Rhyme – 7 June at 2-2.30pm
- Watton Library – Story Time – 5 June at 11-12pm
- West Earlham Library – Story Time/Bounce and Rhyme – 6 June at 2-2.30pm