Message from County Council leader
20 December 2019
I would like to wish the people of Norfolk and all our staff and partner organisations a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year.
2019 has seen major progress at the county council. Our Together, for Norfolk plan has provided clear direction and priorities. An independent peer review said that there is a strong sense of a “reboot” and clear leadership.
This year’s achievements include:
- Becoming the top-rated county council for highway maintenance
- A new early childhood and family service, offering more targeted support for families with children aged from 0-5
- Making major infrastructure improvements, from the A140 Hempnall roundabout to the Great Yarmouth Third River Crossing and the West Winch scheme
- An independent survey showed that 75 per cent of people are satisfied with the way the county council runs things – up from 42 per cent, five years ago
- Work starting on our first extra care scheme, in Fakenham – we’re investing £29 million in 3,000 more care places across the county
2020 should be a year of opportunity, with Brexit resolved and the prospect, with a new Government, of building new relationships and stepping up our campaign for fairer funding.
So, watch this space – it should be a significant and rewarding year.