Free school meal scheme to continue during February half term
22 January 2021
Norfolk County Council has extended its free school meal voucher scheme to make sure no child goes hungry this February half term.
A child from a family that receives benefits is eligible for a £15 voucher for the week.
The last time the voucher scheme ran over the Christmas period, Norfolk County Council issued more than 27,000 vouchers and we are estimating the uptake will be similar this half term.
Schools can order the supermarket gift cards for pupils using an online service and families can receive the codes by email to redeem themselves or as a gift card provided by post, collection or delivery to families without internet access.
Some schools may also be offering food parcels, parents and carers should contact their school office to see what they are providing.
Councillor John Fisher, Norfolk County Council cabinet member for children's services, said: “It is imperative we make sure children in our county are happy, healthy and fed during this difficult time. I hope that by providing these vouchers, families can focus on spending some quality time together this half term.”
Children are eligible for the vouchers if their family receives one of the benefits listed below:
- Universal Credit - with an annual earned income of no more than £7,400 after tax
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for the four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit) with an annual gross income of no more than £16,190
Children in years reception to two that receive Universal infant Free School Meals are not eligible as part of the scheme; they have to be eligible for means-tested Free School Meals.
For more information and to apply for free school meals, visit the Norfolk County Council website.