Public consultations - third river crossing
Earlier in 2017 Norfolk County Council undertook a consultation to seek views on congestion issues in Great Yarmouth.
We are proposing to build a new bridge between Harfreys Roundabout and South Denes Road, and we would like your views.
This consultation has three stages, two of them have now been completed and are listed below.
Consultation Now Closed, thank you for your views and these will be used to help develop the next phase of scheme development.
Earlier in 2017 Norfolk County Council undertook a consultation to seek views on congestion issues in Great Yarmouth and to share the emerging preliminary proposals for a Third River Crossing in the town.
The consultation responses showed an overall support for the scheme, with the majority of respondents saying that:
- Congestion in Great Yarmouth is either a serious or a very serious issue,
- The Third River Crossing would make their journey times shorter,
- Congestion would be greatly reduced by the new crossing.
Since this initial consultation we have been developing the scheme further.
From 4 September to 6 October 2017 we were seeking views on the work undertaken to date so that we could understand the important issues to consider as the scheme was developed further.
Alternatively we were running a number of exhibitions during this time and you were able to visit the exhibitions at these locations:
Imperial Hotel – 13-15 North Drive, Great Yarmouth, NR30 1EQ
- Monday 4 September 2017 - 12pm-9pm
- Tuesday 5 September 2017 - 10am-9pm
- Wednesday 6 September 2017 - 10am-9pm
- Thursday 7 September 2017 - 10am-9pm (staffed 2pm-9pm)
- Friday 8 September 2017 - 10am-9pm
- Saturday 9 September 2017 - Closed
- Sunday 10 September 2017 - Closed
Great Yarmouth Library– Tolhouse Street, Great Yarmouth, NR30 2SH
- Monday 11 September 2017 - 12pm-5pm
- Tuesday 12 September 2017 - 9am-5pm
- Wednesday 13 September 2017 - 9am-7.30pm
- Thursday 14 September 2017 - 9am-5pm
- Friday 15 September 2017 - 9am-5pm
- Saturday 16 September 2017 - 9am-4.30pm (staffed 10am-4.30pm)
- Sunday 17 September 2017 - Closed
Gorleston Library – Lowestoft Road, Gorleston-on-Sea, Great Yarmouth, NR31 6QU
- Monday 18 September 2017 - 12pm-5pm
- Tuesday 19 September 2017 - 9.30am-8pm (staffed 2pm-8pm)
- Wednesday 20 September 2017 - 9.30am-5pm
- Thursday 21 September 2017 - 9.30am-8pm
- Friday 22 September 2017 - 9.30am-5pm
- Saturday 23 September 2017 - 9.30am-4pm
- Sunday 24 September 2017 - Closed
Kings Centre – 30 Queen Annes Road, Southtown, Gt Yarmouth, NR31 0LE
- Monday 25 September 2017 - Closed
- Tuesday 26 September 2017 - 12pm-5pm
- Wednesday 27 September 2017 - 10am-5pm
- Thursday 28 September 2017 - 10am-8pm (staffed 2pm-8pm)
- Friday 29 September 2017 - 10am-5pm
- Saturday 30 September 2017 - Closed
- Sunday 1 October 2017 - Closed
The consultation is now closed and we want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond. Nearly 500 individuals, including local residents and business representatives, responded to Norfolk County Council’s public consultation on the proposed third river crossing and wider transport issues in the Great Yarmouth area, which was held between November 2016 and January 2017. The results showed that:
- 71% of respondents said traffic congestion in Great Yarmouth was either a serious or very serious issue
- 79% either strongly agreed or agreed that the third river crossing would make their journey times shorter
- 80% either strongly agreed or agreed that congestion would be greatly reduced by a new river crossing
- 81% said they would be very likely or likely to use a third river crossing
The outline business case is now being finalised and has been submitted. The Department for Transport is expected to make a decision during the summer on whether to grant the project ‘programme entry’ status, and award the county council further funding to develop the planning application and detailed surveys and design work for the third river crossing.