Start: week of 4 January 2021
Expected completion: late February 2021
As part of our Transforming Cities application we are improving a section of the Marriott’s Way between Gunton Lane and Hellesdon Road to make walking and cycling safer and more convenient.
The current route via Gunton Lane is indirect, involves a sub-standard shared-use path alongside Hellesdon Road and an uncontrolled crossing of busy Marlpit Lane. The project will overcome these problems by providing a safer and more direct route using the original alignment of Marriott’s Way.
Details of work
- Installation of a three-metre-wide cycle track along Marriott’s Way between Gunton Lane and Hellesdon Road (section past the historic Hellesdon platform). This will be in addition to the existing Gunton Lane cycle route
- Construction of new shared, raised table ‘parallel’ crossing on Hellesdon Road where it meets Marriott’s Way, including upgraded street lighting
- Carriageway resurfacing of Hellesdon Road between the Marl Pit Lane/Hellesdon Road junction and Hellesdon Bridge
- Some trees alongside Hellesdon Road to be trimmed and crowns raised
- Signing and carriageway markings to be installed
- Woodland management and habitat enhancement in the area around the historic Hellesdon Platform
A consultation on these proposals was carried out in August 2020 and the final proposals were approved at a meeting of the Transforming Cities Joint Committee in October.
View the meeting papers.
View further information on Marriott's Way improvements