Wymondham to Hethersett cycle link
Monday 2 September 2019
This project will create a new 0.8 km pedestrian/cycle path and upgrade a further 0.5 km along the B1172 between Wymondham and Hethersett. The path will link to existing pedestrian/cycle infrastructure at either end to provide a high quality 7km route from Tuttles Lane, Wymondham, to the Thickthorn roundabout just outside Norwich.
Details of overall scheme
- Building of new 0.8 km shared-use pedestrian/cycle path alongside the B1172 between the junctions of Norwich Road, Hethersett
- Resurfacing 0.5 km of the existing pedestrian/cycle path between Norwich Road (north-eastern junction) and the farm shop
- Realignment and narrowing of the junctions of Churchfield and Norwich Road (west and east) to reduce entry and exit speeds of vehicles
- Building a separate bus layby adjacent to the Churchfield junction
- Road resurfacing at all junctions
Reasons for work
- Wymondham and Hethersett are both due to see significant development over the coming years. The facility will provide a high quality cycle and pedestrian link between areas of new housing and Norwich city centre
- The scheme is on the blue pedalway, linking Wymondham and Sprowston
- The scheme aims to encourage more people in the area to use sustainable transport
Work on the overall scheme will take place in phases – additional notices will be issued to provide more information on the future phases.