Wymondham to Hethersett cycle link
Start: Monday 27 November 2017
Expected finish: Autumn 2018
This project will create a new 3.3km pedestrian/cycle path between Wymondham and Hethersett along the B1172. The new path will link to existing pedestrian/cycle infrastructure at either end and provide a high quality 7km route from Tuttles Lane, Wymondham, to the Thickthorn roundabout just outside Norwich.
- Public Information Notice with details of the first phase of work between the junction of New Road (Hethersett) to the next junction with Norwich Road.
We would like to thank drivers for their patience while this work takes place.
Phase 1: Scheme plans
You can download the plans for phase 1 of this project from the Phase 1: Scheme plans section on this page.
The first plan shows and overview of the area between the Norwich Road junction and the New Road junction. The other links correspond to the numbered sections.
Details of overall scheme
- Building of new 3.3km shared-use pedestrian/cycle path between Wymondham and Hethersett
- Widening existing footway to create a 3m-wide shared-use path
- Realignment and narrowing of the junctions of New Road and Norwich Road (west and east) to reduce entry and exit speeds of vehicles
- Installation of low-level street lighting columns to illuminate the new facility
- Relocation of the pedestrian refuge at New Road to improve access to and from the bus stop opposite
- Additional drainage
Reasons for work
- Wymondham and Hethersett are both due to see significant development over the coming years. The facility will provide a high quality cycle and pedestrian link between areas of new housing and Norwich city centre.
- The scheme is on the blue pedalway, linking Wymondham and Sprowston
- The scheme aims to encourage more people in the area to use sustainable transport
Work on the overall scheme will take place in phases – additional notices will be issued to provide more information on the future phases.