May to November 2019
- Replacement of existing crossroads junction with roundabout
- Preliminary work takes place from 7 May
- Main construction work starts 20 May
- Works include street lighting, surface water drainage, kerbing, signage and road markings
- Landscaping work to follow main construction work
Reasons for work
- To help unlock economic growth and enable the delivery of development in the area
- To improve road safety at a junction with a history of accidents
- To improve access from side roads onto A140
As the new roundabout will be built to the west of the existing crossroads, and off the line of the A140, this will allow disruption to be kept to a minimum.
- Overnight temporary 30mph speed limit on A140 between the hours of 8pm to 6am from 7-20 May 2019
- 24/7 temporary 30mph speed limit on A140 from 20 May–1 November
- Hempnall Crossroads (A140 / B1527 / C497) closed from 8pm Friday 30 August to 6am Monday 2 September, and 8pm Friday 6 September to 6am Monday 9 September
- B1527 Hempnall Road closed at its junction with A140 from 30 August to 29 October (24 hours a day). Also closed on 21-22 May 2019 (24 hours a day).
- C497 Bungay Road closed at its junction with A140 from 17 May 2019 – 9 September 2019 (24 hours a day)
The scheme is expected to cost £4.57m, with £3.05m funding from the Department for Transport and £650,000 from New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership’s Growth Deal with central Government. The remainder will come from the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and Norfolk County Council.
An informal public consultation on the plan, that ran in March and April 2018, showed overwhelming support for the scheme.
For more information on the consultation visit: norfolk.citizenspace.com/consultation/hempnallcrossroads