At the beginning of 2019, Norfolk County Council and Norwich City Council consulted on proposals to improve traffic flow on the outer ring road between South Park Avenue and Newmarket Road.
The roundabout junction of the A11 Newmarket Road with the A140 Daniels Road was highlighted as one of the sites in Norwich where capacity improvements are needed to improve journey times. One of the main causes of congestion identified at the roundabout was traffic queuing back from adjoining junctions on the network.
A study of this section of the outer ring road was used to find out how it can function more efficiently and to reduce tailbacks through the roundabout from Mile End Road.
As a result of the study and consultation results, the following improvements are being taken forward for construction. You can download detailed plans box above on this page.
- Changes to the traffic light-controlled junction at South Park Avenue to improve the operation of the junction, including pedestrian facilities
- New pedestrian refuges near Highland Road and Unthank Road
- Replacement of the existing pedestrian crossings near Mornington Road and Waldeck Road with staggered, signalised pedestrian crossings
- Double yellow lines on the northern side of Colman Road with a combination of double yellow lines and limited waiting parking bays on the southern side
- Double yellow lines on both sides of Unthank Road with a parking bay on the northern side
- Extension of double yellow lines on north and south sides of South Park Avenue
Work is due to begin on the changes in spring next year (2020). This will be funded with £650,000 from the New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership’s Local Growth Fund.
Consultation responses and recommendations were reported back to the meeting of Norwich Highways Agency Committee (NHAC) on Thursday 21 March 2019, where the committee approved the project for construction.
View the committee report (agenda item 6)
Permissions to consult on the proposals were agreed at NHAC on Thursday 20 December 2018.
View the committee report (agenda item 5)