September 2017 to June 2018
Details of work:
- Increasing size of the existing roundabout, including widening of the carriageway, mainly towards the allotment side
- New embankments, kerbing, drainage, street lighting and road signage
- New signal-controlled crossings on Dereham Road (by the Gate House public house), and also on Guardian Road (on the approach to the roundabout)
- Footways resurfaced and, where possible, widened diversions to underground utility cables to allow the road widening
- Replacement tree planting and improvements to the allotment sites
Reasons for work:
Improve reliability and journey times for buses
- Improve flow of general traffic
- Improve the capacity of the roundabout so it can cope with any future increase in traffic levels
- Provide better crossing facilities for pedestrians and cyclists
Background and consultation
The above measures were discussed and approved by city and county councillors at the Norwich Highways Agency Committee (NHAC) meeting held on the 15 September 2016.
A public consultation on the proposals for this scheme took place in October 2016.
Amended plans to reflect feedback received during the consultation were taken to the Norwich Highways Agency Committee meeting in January 2017 for approval.