Golden Ball Street
Phase 3: January to May 2017 (All Saints Street permanent closure to traffic and completion of work on Ber Street and Golden Ball Street)
Changes within the Golden Ball Street/Westlegate area of the city centre began in January 2016.
The work that started in January 2017 was the third and final stage of improvements to the area, which were designed to help increase footfall and boost trade to local businesses.
Summary of Phase 3 changes:
- Construction of a new raised table, signal-controlled crossing on Ber Street by its junction with Golden Ball Street and Timber Hill. This included the removal of the temporary mini roundabout at the junction and installation of new kerbs across the junction with All Saints Street. The carriageway and adjacent footways were resurfaced
- Completion of streetscape enhancements at the top of Westlegate at its junction with All Saints Green and All Saints Street
- A new turning area at the junction of All Saints Green with Westlegate
- Pedestrianisation of All Saints Street (between Ber Street and All Saints Green). The work included laying new paving slabs and other surfacing in the area in front of John Lewis. Brick planters were installed within the newly-pedestrianised area, together with new seating
- Changes to the coach bay on Ber Street (outside John Lewis) and new disabled parking bays
- New cycle stands in the pedestrian areas, together with landscape planting. Also, landscape planting on Farmers Avenue within the large island at its junction with Golden Ball Street
As a whole, the project was designed to reduce the amount of through traffic in the centre, connecting two major shopping areas and providing easier access to the multi-storey car parks at John Lewis, Castle Mall and Rose Lane.
Removal of general traffic from Red Lion Street as part of the Phase 2 work completed the bus corridor between St Stephens Street and Castle Meadow, bringing benefits to public transport journey times and reliability.