The higher capacity A47 junction at the Postwick Hub opened to traffic in December 2015. Following a period of monitoring, minor improvements were made in 2016, including a segregated left turn lane on the north-west roundabout.
The new Postwick junction overcomes serious capacity and road safety problems with the old junction – in particular the high risk of traffic queuing back from the junction on to the 70mph dual carriageway.
The only way of solving these problems was to redesign the junction. Numerous designs were investigated, but the current layout was the only one that provided the increase in capacity while meeting mandatory national design standards (see Postwick junction frequently asked questions).
Altogether the redevelopment of the Postwick junction has cost £27.7m, with the Government contributing £19m towards the construction cost. This is included in the £178.95m cost of the Northern Distributor Road.
On its own, the improved junction will provide a significant boost to the local economy, unlocking land for 1,600 homes and 5,000 jobs, and a potential £80m in private investment.
- A47 trunk road and Postwick Interchange improvement decision letter
- A47 trunk road and Postwick Interchange improvement inspector's report
- Appendix 1A Delivery Case Fig 1.1 (pdf 667KB)
- Appendix 2A Delivery Case Fig 2.1 (pdf 473KB)
- Appendix 3A Modelling (pdf 61KB)
- Appendix 3B Environment Worksheets (pdf 144KB)
- Appendix 3C Safety Worksheets (pdf 30KB)
- Appendix 3D Economy Worksheets (pdf 83KB)
- Appendix 3E Accessibility Worksheets (pdf 36KB)
- Appendix 3F Integration Worksheets (pdf 47KB)
- Appendix 3G Appraisal Summary Table (pdf 53KB)
- Appendix 3H Distribution and Equity (pdf 57KB)
- Appendix 4A Senior Responsible Officer’s Experience (pdf 45KB)
- Appendix 4B Programme for Scheme Delivery (pdf 53KB)
- Appendix 4C Risk Register (pdf 216KB)
- Appendix 4E Timetable of Communication with Statutory Bodies (pdf 46KB)
- Appendix 6A Growth Point Funding Announcement (pdf 169KB)
- Community Infrastructure Fund (CIF 2) – Postwick Hub Business Case (pdf 3127KB)
- Letter from DfT – Decision on Postwick Junction Funding (pdf 24KB)
- Letter from DfT 15 September 2009 (pdf 34KB)
- Letter from GO East Midlands (pdf 8KB)